Preparing to apply for admission
- Determine which federal VA educational benefit program(s) you qualify for.
- Compare the monetary assistance provided by each VA educational benefit program.
- Gather the information and paperwork needed for your benefit program.
- Complete the Education Benefits Application Process.
- Request copies of your discharge papers / separation documents (DD214).
- Have official copies your military transcripts sent to Florida State.
Applying for admission
- Review the information on the FSU Admissions website for the student category that applies to you (freshman, transfer, graduate, etc.).
- Review the policy on Florida residency and complete the online form, if applicable.
- Complete the Federal Application for Student Aid (FAFSA), which must be submitted to be considered forany financial aid.
- Review the costs, scholarships and financial assistance available to Florida State students and student-veterans.
- Review the FSU Financial Aid information for veterans.
- Apply for admission to Florida State University.
Managing your admissions decision and information
- Pay your Admissions Deposit by the deadline (freshmen only).
- Use the Online Status Check frequently to verify your residency status, major, health immunization & insurance compliance, and more.
- Update your records – major, email, contact information, etc. – as needed.
- Become familiar with what academic life is like at FSU.
- Review the list of Veteran Liaisons available in academic and administrative units throughout campus
- If denied admission, contact the Admissions office or the Mapping Coordinator for the college you applied to.
After being accepted for admission
- Prepare for orientation by reviewing the Pre-orientation Checklist.
- Register for either undergraduate orientation (all categories of students) or graduate-student orientation.
- Activate your permanent FSUID, @myFSU email account, and access the myFSU portal.
- All students are required to have health insurance, and the Post 9/11 GI Bill may cover its cost; complete the FSU Health Insurance Application.
- Explore the housing options available, both on-campus and off-campus, to FSU students.
- Join the Facebook group of the FSU Collegiate Veterans Association to receive information on activities, events and support.
- Contact the FSU Student Veterans Center for information on available services and resources.
- Get to know Florida’s capital city, Tallahassee.