Parents of Veteran Dependent’s Checklist

  1. If you are still actively serving in the U.S armed services, you can transfer VA educational benefits to your dependent.
  2. Fill out and submit a FAFSA (Federal Application for Student Aid)
  3. If your student is not a Florida resident, contact the FSU Student Veterans Center to see whether they qualify for an out-of-state tuition waiver.
  4. Look for scholarships for veteran dependents that your student might qualify for.
  5. Make sure your student has health insurance (health insurance purchased through FSU may be eligible for VA reimbursement).
  6. Note that you can only access your student’s information (or get your questions answered about it) if your student has authorized that access
  7. Veteran-dependents who receive VA educational benefits get priority course registration, which means they can register for classes ahead of other students. Urge your student to register as soon as the priority registration window opens up.
  8. After your dependent has registered for classes, complete the Request for Benefits form (a new RFB form must be submitted each semester).
  9. Students who participate in activities and organizations outside the classroom show higher levels of academic achievement. Encourage your dependent you explore FSU’s 600+ registered student organizations (RSOs).
  10. Be aware that FSU Veteran Liaisons are in administrative and academic units throughout campus to assist student veterans and veteran-dependents.
  11. Know that students can get free academic tutoring through both the FSU Academic Center for Excellence (ACE) and the University Libraries
  12. Suggest that your student follow the FSU Student Veterans Center on Facebook, twitter and Instagram; other FSU social media are listed at