Florida State University faculty and staff members who served in the military are welcome to participate in a new affinity group on campus.
The Veteran Friends & Family Group, or VF2G, is composed of faculty and staff who are active or former members of the armed services, had loved ones who served, or just have a heart for veterans.
The VF2G mission is to initiate, cultivate and sustain relationships between veterans at Florida State, and provide opportunities for participation in veteran activities and events.
Membership development for the group will be conducted through awareness-raising emails, social media, the Student Veterans Center’s “Guidon” e-newsletter, and handouts at meetings and events. Incentives to join will include the Veterans Alliance lapel pin and arrowhead decal.
The group’s structure will initially be rather informal, with one person leading the organization (i.e., no board or other “officers” at this time). The group’s participation in already established veterans initiatives will be among its first means of campus involvement, including the:
· Student Veteran Film Festival
· Commencement Coin and Cord Ceremony
· Military Appreciation Games/Events
· Veterans Creative Arts Workshops
· Veteran Alumni Society
Eventually, projects and initiatives distinct to VF2G will likely include:
· The welcoming of new student veterans and new veteran faculty and staff
· Development of a support network for FSU-affiliated veterans
· Community service projects
· Student-veteran recruitment activities
· Enhanced collaboration/communication with local veteran-support organizations