Additional Resources and Assistance

Yellow Ribbon Program

Students who are no longer on active duty and do not live in the state of Florida may be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program, which is part of the VA’s Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) educational benefit.

Students who are eligible at the 100% level of the Post 9/11 benefit will most likely qualify for Yellow Ribbon. No additional application is required to receive the Yellow Ribbon waiver other than the Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) application. Florida State will process Yellow Ribbon waivers once the Request for Benefits form has been submitted and FSU certifying officials confirm eligibility. Note, however, that the letter from the VA indicating Post 9/11 eligibility at the 100% level must eventually be submitted to FSU. More information about the Yellow Ribbon Program is available at the VA website.


Study Abroad

Florida State University offers highly regarded and extensive Study Abroad programs and VA educational benefits may be able to assist with some expenses related to these programs. 

While studying abroad, if a student is enrolled in courses that satisfy degree requirements, VA educational benefits may be applied to these courses. Certifying these benefits follows the same procedure as those for the Tallahassee campus, and any housing stipend is calculated at the Tallahassee-campus rate. However, the same limitations on Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) benefits still apply, including tuition calculated at the level the student is eligible for, and any book stipend is issued according to VA policy. Please note that the VA will not cover study abroad expenses related to travel, program-associated costs, meals, etc.


Changes to Your Status

Any changes made after an initial application or certification must be forwarded to the VA Regional Office by the FSU Student Veterans Center. Please let the Student Veterans Center know about these changes so they can be reported. 

Changes in status of dependents:

This applies to those students utilizing Vietnam Era GI Bill benefits and Vocational Rehabilitation. These groups of veterans receive an additional allowance for each dependent.

Changes can occur when:

  • A dependent child reaches the age of 18. If the dependent child is still in high school or is enrolled in college, the veteran may continue to receive an allowance for that child. This requires the veteran to complete and submit a 21-674 Form available through the Veterans Affairs Office.
  • A child is born. If this happens, you will need to submit a certified true copy of the child’s birth certificate immediately.
  • A divorce occurs. The veteran will need to submit a certified true copy of the divorce degree.
  • A dependent dies. The veteran will need to submit a certified true copy of the death certificate.
  • A veteran marries. You will need to submit a certified true copy of the marriage license.

Change in address:

If you should move during your enrollment at FSU, you will need to change your address with the VA Regional Office and the Student Veterans Center as well as the university. Changing your address with only one of these will not automatically change your address with the other. A change of address can be made by contacting the VA through the options outlined on this VA website.

Change in major:

Should you decide to change your major you should be aware there are school forms to complete. After you have changed your major with your academic dean, a signed major change form must be brought to the Student Veterans Center to complete the process in the university system.

Change in credit hours:

This occurs when you drop a class (es) or are dropped from a class (es) by the instructor. All drop/add slips should be brought to the Student Veterans Center for completion in the university system. Any changes in your schedule will potentially affect your monthly payments from the DVA and may result in an overpayment which would need to be repaid.

Withdrawal from school:

Should it become necessary for you to withdraw from all classes, you should contact the Student Veterans Center before doing so. There are many concerns you should be aware of before withdrawing completely. If you are called to active duty DO NOT go through the withdrawal office, please bring a copy of your orders to the Student Veterans Center.

Change in place of training:

Should you change your place of training it is necessary to complete a VA Form 22-1995 (Ch 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 1606 or 1607) or a VA Form 22-5495 (Ch 35 only). These forms are available at Be sure to check with the institution you are planning to transfer to for any detailed instructions. It is not necessary for you to notify Florida State University Student Veterans Center if you plan to transfer. Your certification will stop at the end of the current term certified.

FAILURE TO REPORT CHANGES constitutes fraud and is the primary cause for delays in the delivery of your educational checks and occurrences of overpayment. Changes may be reported to the Student Veterans Center in person or by FSU email. Periodic audits are conducted and changes in schedule are caught but it is ultimately student’s responsibility to report these changes before incurring an overpayment or possibly an underpayment.


Purple Heart Waiver

Waiver for Recipients of Purple Heart or Superior Combat Decorations

Florida law provides a fee waiver to recipients of the Purple Heart or other combat decoration superior in precedence if the recipient is enrolling in the Florida college or state university system, and provided he or she meets all of the following criteria:

  1. Admitted as a full-time, part-time, or summer-school student in an undergraduate program of study leading to a degree or certificate;
  2. Is currently, or was at the time of the military action that resulted in the awarding of the Purple Heart or other superior combat decoration, a resident of Florida; and
  3. Submits to the community college or university the DD-214 form, issued at the time of separation from service, as documentation that he or she has received a Purple Heart or other combat decoration superior in precedence.

This waiver is applicable for 110 percent of the number of required credit hours of the degree or certificate program for which the student is enrolled.


 The Florida Department of Veterans Affairs has indicated that the combat decorations that would qualify students for the provisions of this waiver include:

  • Purple Heart
  • Bronze Star (must be “V” designation or device)
  • Distinguished Flying Cross
  • Legion of Merit (must be “V” designation or device)
  • Silver Star
  • Air Force Cross
  • Navy Cross
  • Distinguished Service Cross
  • Medal of Honor

The burden of proof is on the student to provide one of the following documents evidencing residency in Florida at the time of the military action that resulted in the awarding of the combat decoration:

  • DD-214 form, military separation document
  • DD-2058 form, military state of legal residence certificate
  • Leave and Earning Statement (LES) or the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS)
  • Form 702, which specifies place of residence
  • Letter or affidavit from the military administrative office verifying residence at the time of combat
  • One or more state or federal documents evidencing legal ties to Florida (e.g., homestead exemption, driver’s license, vehicle registration).

The student must meet the requirements of residency for tuition purposes specified in section (s.) 1009.21, F.S., and Rule 6A-10.044, Florida Administrative Code.


Tutorial Assistance

Tutorial assistance may be arranged, and any associated costs may be offset, for eligible persons utilizing VA Educational Benefit Chapters 30, 31, 32, 33 and 35.

his tutoring-expense allowance is considered a supplement to the student’s monthly educational assistance check and paid without any entitlement charge for those training under Chapters 31, 33 and 35. For those utilizing Chapter 30 and 32 benefits, however, an individual’s period of entitlement will be charged for the amount of tutorial assistance paid in excess of $600.

The VA will pay up to a maximum of $100 per month for tutorial assistance. The maximum assistance to which a claimant will be eligible throughout the duration of his/her entitlement is $1200.



The VA Work-Study program permits eligible veterans and dependents to perform specific services in return for a monetary allowance equal to the prevailing federal/state minimum wage. VA work-study income is not taxed.

Veteran and dependent students can be employed throughout the local community, including the Student Veterans Center. A list of available job sites is available through the Student Veterans Center. Applications should be submitted prior to the start of the semester to the individual supervisor of the office you are applying to. Placement is dependent upon availability.